Thursday, October 30, 2014

Internalizing Information

With so much information and media available to us online, it's easy to consume it in mass quantities, then quickly forget it. I sometimes fall into the trap of saturating myself with a little bit of everything I want to learn or see; in the process, I don't internalize any of it. This is why I think we should prioritize fewer things we want to read or view, and then use technology not just to consume information, but to find the best resources available. Distilling our information choices will allow us to focus in on one thing at a time, rather than attempt to juggle many ideas at once. If we find another article that interests us along the way, we can always make a note to revisit it later. As we narrow our media consumption it may feel like we're slowing down, but in internalizing what we do consume, a smaller amount of information could have a larger impact on our lives.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great insight! I need to do that more and consume less information and focus on the quality things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight. The more that I learn, the more I realize there is not enough time to learn and do what I would like to learn and do. So it is just as you say. We must prioritize and focus on the things that most interest us. By doing so we can become experts in a field rather than beginners in many fields.

    ReplyDelete